Things blind people like to hear

Accessibility: Antonia is standing in
a parking lot. You can see mountains in
the background. Antonia is holding
her cane and smiling at the camera.
People often get nervous when they realize I have a disability and they don't know what to say. Here is a list of things that I myself, as a blind individual, like to hear, and I am sure other blind individuals appreciate as well.

"I will give you a ride." If we are going to do something together, don't assume it's easy for me to meet you there because I don't drive and it is harder for me to get to you. Also, do not ask me whether I need a ride, it still implies you are doing me a favor and going out of your way to do so. Furthermore, I never know whether the offer is sincere or just an empty gesture. When you simply state that you will give me a ride, you imply that you remembered I couldn't drive, took that into consideration and added picking me up into your plans.

"The bathroom is all the way to the end of the restaurant, make a left, go down the hallway and then it will be the third door on your right." Wasn't that oddly specific? Yes! And I love it! When I or a blind or visually impaired person asks for directions, please, give detailed instructions on how to get to where I am asking you. 'Over there" means nothing to me or anyone blind or visually impaired.

"The specials today are mac and cheese and grilled pork chops." If you are going into a restaurant with me, make sure you let me know about things I wouldn't be able to see, like the specials on the wall. Similarly, if we are out and about and there is something you believe I should take notice of, let me know. Even if it seems obvious, there are a lot of things I miss out on because I didn't see them. The fact that you remembered and helped make the world more accessible to me means so much!

"Hi Antonia, this is Judy from kickboxing class." If I don't see you on a daily basis or we aren't very close, chances are I will not recognize you, especially if we meet somewhere I am not expecting you. I didn't forget you, faces are just really hard for me. Say hi and my name, then let me know who you are and where we know each other from. It seems awkward, but trust me, it is more awkward for me trying to figure out who you are and having no idea! This not only allows me to know who you are right from the beginning, but it also allows me to have a more meaningful conversation with you, and not just a simple hello how are you type of thing. This also applies if you are somebody I was close to but have not seen in a long time.

"May I help you?" If you encounter a blind person on the street, ask whether they need your help. Do not impose it on us and do not be offended if we turn it down. While to you it may seem impossible that a blind person can cross the street on their own, we have spent a lot of time practicing how to safely cross the street. This applies to any other situation that might happen.

'Can you see that woman wearing red pants by the green car on our left?" When you want me to look at something in our surrounding, I do have enough usable vision to see it a lot of times, but I need to be told exactly where to look. If I tell you I can't see it after you tried to explain it to me a couple of times, please, stop insisting. I probably cannot see it and you are just turning a normal conversation into a frustrating situation. If it is something I need to see but I can't, simply describe it to me.

'Which seat would you prefer?" Let me take first pick at a seat when we go to a restaurant or somewhere else where we will be sitting for a long time, I have really bad light sensitivity so, for me to sit facing a window or bright lights is very uncomfortable and significantly diminishes my vision. Furthermore, due to my albinism, I cannot sit in the sun for long periods of time without getting sunburnt.

I hope this list gives you an idea of some things that I, as a legally blind individual appreciate to hear and I know other visually impaired people do too. What are some things that you, as a visually impaired person like to hear? If you are sighted, what situations do you find awkward and you wish you knew what to say?

If you like what you are reading, share, subscribe and follow.


Comments

  1. I totally relate to the seating in the sun or facing the light. Great tips, all of them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Solo trip to Santa Barbara, California

The places I traveled

Moving to a new state