Everyday objects that make my life easier as a legally blind person

Accessibility: close-up of Antonia, who has short
platinum hair and transparent plastic glass frames.
She is smiling at the camera.
When you have a disability, you become really good at problem-solving. Every day we encounter things that are not accessible and we have to figure out how to do them. We become really good outside-the-box thinkers and can figure out more than one use for everyday objects. Not everything I use to make my life more accessible is specific accessibility tech. There are many everyday objects that can help me have an easier life as a legally blind person. In no particular order, here are some of those objects:

Duct tape: I like using bright colored duct tape to mark things or to help me find things. For example, we had a black couch and expresso colored coffee table; I could never find our remote control because it was black and it would blend in. I used some neon duct tape and put it on both sides of the remote so that it would stand out.

Smart speaker: a smart speaker like the Google Home or Amazon Echo are amazing because they allow me to ask it things without having to read them. So, for example, if I just need a quick piece of information like what time does XYZ store close, I can just ask my smart speaker and it will tell me. I also use it to listen to the news every morning, set timers, find out about the weather, read recipes out loud to me or listen to music. If we had smart devises like lightbulbs or appliances, we could control them through our smart speaker.

Digital camera: Ok, maybe this doesn't make my life easier, but it is a nice perk. I really enjoy traveling and exploring new places. However, I cannot see all the details. I take photos with my camera and then upload them to my computer, I can zoom in and see some details I had not noticed before, like a bird flying in the sky or a pattern in the flower petals.

Smart scale: I know there are talking scales but, quite frankly, I don't want to hear how much I weigh first thing in the morning. A smart scale is connected to my smartphone and it syncs the data so that I can look it up later on. Furthermore, I get to see the progression over time because it stores all my weigh ins.

Blackout curtains: when you are as sensitive to light as I am, blackout curtains become your best friend. I can control whether I want light to come into the room and how much of it.

Kindle or e-readers in general I suppose: my Kindle was LIFE CHANGING. I can choose how large the font is so that I don't need special reading glasses or magnifiers to read my books. I don't have to hold it up to my face since I made the font so much bigger and, best of all, it is so much lighter than a paper book. Depending on the model that you buy, they are backlit, but it doesn't feel like you are reading off of a screen, so it isn't tiring at all for my eyes. You can also regulate the brightness of the screen, which comes in really handy depending on how much light is around you. However, most importantly for me, I fulfilled my dream of being able to read laying down in bed! Just for that it was worth it.

Smartphone: everyone loves their smartphone! They are awesome! However, I like it because I can use it to help me see things better. I can use the camera to take photos of things that are far away, like a menu on a wall, and zoom in and read them. I can also use the camera to read things that are too small for me to see, such as the check at a restaurant or price tags at the store. Of course, I can download accessibility apps, which means I have accessibility tech right in my pocket.

Google Maps: Google Maps on my phone makes my life SO MUCH EASIER! Of course, if you are visually impaired or blind, you can't just decide to go somewhere new on a whim and hope that you will make it there. For us, it takes some planning and research. I like mapping out my route beforehand so that I know how many streets I will need to cross, whether my destination in at the beginning, the middle or the end of the block, etc. However, I also enjoy having my Google Maps directions on my phone as I am navigating to the place because it will give me fairly accurate directions of when I need to turn, when I have arrived, what side of the street I need to be on, etc. It also makes it so that if I am going somewhere on a whim it isn't as scary.

Grocery delivery apps: if you are legally blind, chances are you don't drive. Grocery delivery apps are a life saver for me. Taking my groceries on public transit was a huge hassle and it limited how much I could buy. I signed up for Instacart and have not set foot in a grocery store in over a year! I can buy whatever I need and have it delivered to my door whenever I want. Most of these apps have a subscription fee but, honestly, I did he math and it was cheaper than me taking Uber to the store every week. There are a lot of different grocery delivery services out there and you should find the one that works best for you and offers the most services in your area.

Uber/Lyft: hand in hand with the no driving thing. I can request a ride to come to my house whenever I need it. It can get expensive, but it is great for short distances or when I am in a tight spot.

What are some of your favorite everyday objects that make your life easier as a visually impaired person?

If you like what you read, share, subscribe and follow!

Comments

  1. I am 13 but This is very helpful for me, and when i grow up i will definitely use some of these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that! I am sure you will figure out some of your own tricks as well!

      Delete
  2. Antonia would you mind sharing with me some humor you use to get out of sticky situations involving being legally blind? This would help me a lot since I have albinism and am legally blind. I have experienced a few uncomfortable situations for example when I can't see the chalkboard, or when someone waves to me and I can't see them, or when someone makes eye contact with me and I can't tell who they're trying to talk to me or someone else! If you replied to me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reaching out, Annabella! as you get a little older, you will see how you become more comfortable in your own skin and figure out ways to get yourself out of sticky situations. To be honest, the examples you just gave me, I simply let people know I can't see... I know it isn't always fun and, as you get older, you will realize you don't have to see everything in order to know what's going on. But, for the chalkboard, I always made sure I told my teachers I couldn't see and used my monocular/was allowed to move around the classroom. I still worry that people will think I am rude if I don't say hi to them when they wave at me. My white cane has helped in that regard because it reminds others that I cannot see them. However, it is important to remind those around you that you can't see them. Same with the eye contact, just let them know when they are talking to you they should address you by name.
      I am a very sarcastic person and like to use humor to let others know that I am comfortable with my albinism. For you, maybe it will work better to be very assertive and tell people exactly what you need in a confident way. Maybe you are a really funny person... I don't know. For something like the eye contact, maybe I would say something like 'Sorry, I am going at this blind and didn't see you'. What is important is that, however you choose to do it, you let others know what your needs are and that there is no need to be awkward around you because you are comfortable with your blind moments. I hope that helps. I am happy to chat more with you if you like :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Solo trip to Santa Barbara, California

Moving to a new state

The places I traveled